Moss can make your wall look dirty and worn. It is a collection of minute little plants called bryophytes. Although it is not difficult to remove, in this article, I’d like to give some tips to help you remove it totally. You need to eliminate moss from the roots (no pun intended). We have found some handy ways to kill moss on old walls as well as tarnish its growth.
How to kill the moss on old wall?
There are a number of ways that you can use to kill moss on the walls. They grow in areas that do not receive proper sunlight, like barks of trees as they shady and the northern part of buildings because these areas do not get much of sunlight. Now, you can kill moss in various ways and some of them have been discussed in short in this section. So, be vigilant and read this segment thoroughly.
1. Scrubbing – Look for green or may be black discoloration on the walls. Unfortunately, if you come across anything like this, then take your guard and be prepared for tough fight. If moss formation is in its early stages, then consider you to be lucky and start with scrubbing off the moss. Then follow up with pressure cleaning. This will remove all the debris like unwanted plants, dust and dirt.
2. Bleaching – You can mix bleach with water in a spray bottle in a 50-50 ratio and soak the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes by holding the nozzle few inches away from the area. Scour this area with a broom or a brush according to our convenience. Then rinse this section methodically with water to remove all the bleach. Yes, but make sure that you do not have a pond around your area while using bleach solution.
3. Home remedies – Chemical treatment can be a challenge for households that have kids and pets. Such households need to rely on age old home remedies for killing moss. Form a mixture of dishwashing liquid (20 ounces) with 5 gallon of water and sprinkle it on the moss. Keep it untouched for 24 hours and then scrub it off. You can also try mixing 3 pounds of hydrated lime with 3 gallons of water. Spread it over the moss and let it sit for a day. You may find the moss to have turned yellowish and then scrub it off. Experts are of the opinion that you must try it with soil that is acidic by nature only.
Make sure to take some precautions while killing moss like:
• Using protective gear if using bleach like gloves and goggles
• Keep pets and children away during chemical treatment
• Work in a ventilated zone
• Ensure methods to save the environment while treating moss with chemicals
Just remember to wash out any cleaning that you may be using for killing moss on the wall. Leftover cleaning agents are worse than any other menace because they are capable of doing a lot more damage than what it may seem to be. Be careful and follow the safety steps to keep moss off your walls.